Menu Close

North of England Refugee Service

Listing Details

North of England Refugee Service

The North of England Refugee Service was established in 1989. It is an independent and charitable organisation which exists to meet the needs and promote the interests of asylum seekers and refugees who have arrived or have settled in the North of England.

NERS acts as an agent of positive change in For the last 30 years NERS has been working to improve the everyday life conditions of asylum seekers and refugees, and to promote social inclusion by facilitating their integration and equal participation within British society with and for the immediate and long-term needs of the community of refugees across the North East region, focusing at the most vulnerable stages of the journey to integration.

Our Asylum Advice Service provide advice and support to people throughout all stages of their asylum process -from the pre-asylum application stage, through the time the claim is in process, and if granted refugee status or leave to remain, during the transition into mainstream society.

Our integration service provides support to those granted refugee status and leave to remain to help them rebuild lives in the UK. This service is vitally important in preventing destitution among those who receive Leave to Remain and are required to find accommodation and financial support within 28 days.

NERS has a supported housing project which provides housing to individuals granted leave to remain, who are also vulnerable and in need of further support. The service provides short term housing and appropriate individualised support for up to two years and until clients can move on from supported housing to independent living.

Interpreting and translation services: We assist refugees and other migrants to train and employ them as sessional interpreters to provide interpreting and translation services. We provide these services for our clients and as well as other organisations such as NHS, social services, schools, solicitors, local authorities, housing associations and care homes.


Contact Information