Newcastle Theatre Royal is the leading theatre in the North East. Every year we present over 400 performances to over 300,000 people.
We present the finest drama, the brightest West End musicals, the cream of the comedy circuit, award winning ballet and dance, family friendly shows, the Royal Shakespeare Company, the National Theatre, Opera North and Rambert Dance – and (we think) the best Pantomime in the country!
We also run a range of participatory projects with different groups
- Project A (actor training programme with industry professionals)
- weekly drama workshops for young people aged 5-15
- schools programme supporting teachers and students at all levels of education (integration of arts into the curriculum, show related visits and experiences, classroom resources relating to plays and productions)
- summer school programmes for young people
- Limelight amateur theatre group for the over 55s
- Twisting Ducks (academy programmes for adults and young people with learning disabilities
Granted its Royal licence by King George III, the Theatre Royal Newcastle opened on Drury Lane off Mosley Street in 1788 and soon established itself as one of England’s leading theatres. The Grade I Listed Theatre today is both neo-classical monument and cultural engine, with an annual audience of 337,000 and over 400 performances each year. The third home of the Royal Shakespeare Company, alongside Stratford-upon-Avon and London, its programme is rich and varied featuring world-class drama, including National Theatre productions, an Opera North Season, and a rich array of contemporary dance, musicals and comedy.